Monday 13 July 2009

Gullibility on the Internet

Many must hav heard of phishing and also the Nigerian Fraud. For the uninitiated the latter is a kind of email fraud where someone contacts you to transfer a large amount out of a certain country (not only Nigeria). Scott Adams says in a Dilbert book that people are stupid. Occasionally it does seem so. If spam and the likes still survive it means that there are people who read these mails and act upon them.

Recently I received two mails on my college email ID. One was from ynotmarry.com, which I think is a marriage agency. The sender's name was Shalini and I actually have a batchmate at IIFT by that name. I was non-plussed for a few seconds as to why she sent me the mail. Also I first thought that the website points out why we should not marry! The other was something on the lines of the Nigerian fraud. But this time it was from a person claiming to be one of a pair of orphans. They wanted my help. Since when have people started believing in orphans personally going online and asking for help!

I have attached screenshots of the two mails.





1 comment:

Naveen Tiruvengadam said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA