Sunday 18 January 2015

A response to Brinda Karat - part 2 - an example of proselytization

This is in continuation with my last post where I had said I would give a personal example of how proselytizers work.

My father and I were in the Visakhapatnam beach some time last year. We were strolling when suddenly a lady walked up to us, gave us a pamphlet and walked away. I am reproducing half of this pamphlet here. There were some scanning issues with the other half. I have attached the screenshots of the original Telugu pamphlet.

Title - The incarnation in our Vedas

The pamphlet claims that the names which follow are part of a sahasranAmAvali. A Hindu would suppose that these nAmAs are part of the Vishnu SahasranAma
 
1. However the Vishnu SahasranAma is not part of any Veda as such. It is taken from the Mahabharata. So the pamphlet begins with a lie. Further against each line, sources in the Bible are given which means an originally Greek document has now been translated into Sanskrit! Further there is no concept of the many names of God anywhere in Christianity or in Abrahamic religions. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. Also to the best of my limited knowledge at least some of the lines are grammatically trash (though an average layman may think otherwise).

3. There is obviously no Om in Christianity. I understand that "the Word" or "Amen" is a Christian equivalent. 

4. The names mentioned - daridranArAyana, brahmaputra, kanyasuta,umArtha, vidhirSTa, ajamuga, michchasoola arudAru, panchaga, phrim proom(?!), dakSina mAtra

5. What follows is too lengthy to type, but sounds like utter nonsense.

6. What follows seem to be either real or fake slokas from Hindu holy books which have been given a Christian twist.

7. But the highlight? It claims that the God mentioned in the gAyatri mantra is the same as that mentioned in the Bible! The translation given of the mantra is nonsense.





No comments: