Monday 15 October 2012

Final year projects for sale!

There is a lot of hue and cry about the employability of graduates and post graduates in India, so much so that some companies have started programs to train the work force before they actually begin work. I come from an engineering background (these days, who doesn't?). I occasionally put a question to my peers - are you an engineer or did you pass engineering? In my opinion people who actually go into design and to some extent implementation/maintenance of equipment are true engineers. I shall leave my readers to judge which category I fall into!

Whether it is post graduation or graduation students get worked up when it is time to decide the final year projects and guides. I am sure most engineering graduates will confess to have approached seniors for their projects. This was taken to a whole new level by a poster I saw today. Bhubaneswar has a lot of engineering colleges in and around it. I stay very close to one of the more prominent ones and hence the area I live in has a large student population. Today I had gone into the market to purchase some items when I found a notice pasted on the wall outside a shop. It advertised a phone number which students could contact for "professional-looking" final year projects. I might be paraphrasing but that was the gist of it. I was taken aback by the sheer brazenness of the poster.

Is this a sign of the things to come? There were apparently days long gone when people were pure (probably no one alive today has seen them). Then there was a time when injustice or acts of dishonesty etc were perpetrated but stealthily. Have we finally come to the day when a dishonest act does not need to be cloaked?

No comments: