Monday 18 October 2010

The Innovative Nature of Miserliness

I do not claim to be a miser, let this be my disclaimer. Yesterday I came back from Bengaluru to Kolkata and had to go home from the airport. It was around 10.30 PM. Owing to the long line (and possibly missing clerk) at the pre-paid taxi booth I decided to find my own way. I underestimated the distance from the airport to the main road and walked, but that is a separate story. The taxi fare from my place to the airport will hardly be 60 rupees. The rates I got quoted 250, 270 and 190! 

Eventually I caught an auto (auto rickshaw to be more specific) and then a (cycle) rickshaw and reached home by spending 40 rupees. In the course of that journey I was reminded of a small joke I read.

There is a couple and both are misers. One day the husband comes home from work, panting and sweating. The wife asks him what happened. He proudly tells her, "Instead of catching my daily bus, today I ran after it and saved 8 rupees!" She glares at him angrily and retorts, "You are good for nothing! You should have run after an auto and saved 50 rupees!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And how about adding some more illustrations? No offence, site is really nice. But as I know humans acquire information much more efficient when there are certain useful illustrations.

Nency Nixon
mobile phone jammers

VC said...

interesting thought, thank you for the suggestion