Monday 8 March 2010

An Eventful Women's Day Indeed!

I am back, courtesy of our politicians. The Congress is headed by a woman and she is adamant that the women's reservation bill should be passed today. Well, some men had differing views and what resulted was pandemonium.

Before we move on, let us look at the word pandemonium. It was coined by John Milton in Paradise Lost and was the capital of hell. It literally means a place full of demons. Look up this and this for more details.

Now let us come back to this issue. The Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Rashtriya Janata Dall (RJD) headed by Mulayam Singh Yadav and Lalu Prasad Yadav respectively have chosen to withdraw support to the government. A few MPs from these two parties and one from the Janata Dal (United) actually tore up copies of the bill in the Rajya Sabha and threw these at the Chairman. The video being shown on television makes for some interesting viewing. The Rajya Sabha has been postponed a couple of times and I do not know when the bill will be ultimately passed. My question is, why do we let such people get away with it? Plaster photos and posters and show videos of these 'people's representatives' in their constituencies and let the voters see for themselves who they have elected. Remove these people from Parliament. They disgrace not only themselves and their constituents but also the nation in front of the world. Some action has to be taken against such people. But when? And is this a quid pro quo situation? I disrupt, don't harm me, the next time you disrupt, I won't harm you. Is that it?

Now why might the two Yadavs be doing this? The most recognizable Thakur face, Amar Singh is no longer with the SP. The party has always 'positioned' itself as a representative of Muslims. So now there has to be an increased focus on this votebank. A similar story can be made of the RJD also. They want a quota inside a quota. They say the bill in its current form is anti-OBC. They want separate reservation for Muslim women I believe. Is it not wondrous, the number of ways we Indians can divide ourselves?

In other developments a woman has won the Best Director Oscar (The Hurt Locker) for the first time. I saw this movie recently and well, though it seems well made I still did not like it a lot. When I saw Avtaar (the other major contender), the 3D glasses were blocking a part of the view in front of me and the glass was tinted. I found this movie ok. But well, I am entitled to my personal opinions :)

So all in all, an eventful women's day. Now will the bill be passed today?

No comments: