Wednesday 30 December 2009

Disrespect or Survival Requirement?

I am writing this entry after seeing a Kellogg's ad on the TV. This company has been trying to change the breakfast habits of Indians for quite some time now, as per my knowledge quite unsuccessfully. As a South Indian I used to have rice for breakfast. South Indians also have items like idly and dosa for breakfast. A North Indian can have paranthas and the likes. This is quite a healthy breakfast and a filling one too. But the company is adamantly fixated upon trying to change the Indians' eating habits.

Does this indicate a disregard or disrespect towards the local culture? Is the company trying to impose American culture just so that it can make money? India is a huge market no doubt. I have nothing against a company entering the country. I do not buy the argument that what the company is doing is for its survival. There is this item called muesli, which is a mixture of quite a few things (cereal, oats, dry fruits etc depending on the combination, read this for more details). I discovered this while I was working in Kolkata in my old job. I liked it quite some. But I preferred to have this as a snack, and not necessarily for breakfast. Why does not the company explore options like this instead of trying to impose corn flakes as a breakfast option? It might also find more success.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting point of view!
I haven't seen the ad myself, so haven't been able to judge if it's provocative or not.
But let's just turn the table around. Would you call Haldiram's trying to advertise 'Aloo Bhujia' in Italy a disrespect of Italian culture? If the product doesn't appeal to the market, they definitely will need to adopt new strategies or quit. Similar to your suggestion of 'muesli'.
Any company will try to capitalize on a potential market, and the market has the power to refuse their products. I'm not sure if we need to go so far as to say that they disrespect our culture if they persist.

Unknown said...

Being a south indian myself i guess we stuck a common chord here. even i prefer those edibles as snacks rather than having them for breakfast. i would , neday , have idlis or dosas for breakfast (as i still do) than go for corn flakes nd muesli.