Saturday 22 August 2009

Remixes and Ripoffs, Anyone?

Dhan te nan from the movie Kaminey has made quite an impact. The music is undoubtedly catchy and the lyrics are peppy too. There was one review where Gulzar was praised for his hand on the pulse of the younger generation and Vishal Dadlani was complimented for having sung the composition of another music director. I felt that the background sounded like the Pulp Fiction title theme. Then I found this video. So is this a remix/ripoff?

Remixes are good in the sense they make you aware of songs you never knew existed. I loved the sayyan dil main aana re remix. I like this over the original actually. It gets irritating when people remix songs that are dance numbers already, prior to being remixed. I am sure there is at least one remixed version of dard-e-disco from Om Shanti Om. That, my dear people is irritating.

It is also nice to acknowledge another person when you use his/her creativity to your end. Pritam has been accused of ripping off songs quite a few times. The same has been said of Anu Malik too.

Still, at the end of the day, dhan te nan rocks! I must compliment Vishal Bharadwaj for having ingeniously mixed the original song with the theme from Pulp Fiction to produce a rocking number.

No comments: