Friday 1 May 2009

India's elections

The EC set up a voting booth for just one person in Gujarat. This was for a priest in the Gir region.
This is probably what is meant by following principles/rules in spirit and deed! On the one hand we have our election commission which tries to have free and fair elections. On the other we have well, our own political parties. As I have mentioned earlier once somebody defined politics as "poly means many and tic are blood-sucking insects". One can only wonder at the power-hungriness and unprinciples nature of politics and India is a case in point. Next door in Pakistan we have an absence of democracy while here it is abused.
A lot of voters are poorly informed. A few years back a magazine carried a report. An old woman in some part of te country said she was voting for Indira Gandhi. She did not even know the woman was dead! Then there is general voter apathy. Appeals by film actors and the Mumbai carnage did not bring out voters in Mumbai. We curse our government all the time, are we not responsible for that?
Finally we have our politicians, the less said the better. I have a confession myself though that I did not vote. I am registered in Hyderabad and I am in Kota. I am not Amir Khan to fly back to Hyderabad to cast my vote (like he came back from the US to India). I think some kind of provision must be made for people like me (if there is one, I do not know of it). A lot of people keep moving around for various reasons - job, education etc. Some provision should be made to allow these people to vote also. If I am not mistaken we need a postal ballot system like the one for the US military personnel stationed outside the US, or something along those lines.

No comments: